Sunday, August 16, 2009

YOOPERS!

UP-ers, that is....those who inhabit the Upper Penninsula of MI. (Think greater Canada and you're halfway there.) This is a longhouse at the Ojibwa Museum in St. Ignace, a tiny gem of a place overlooking Lake Michigan and also a memorial to Pere Marquette, Jesuit Blackrobe to the Native population, beloved and memorialized in these beautiful gardens.
For those of you who follow the adventures of the dogs, here's Buddy and his stuffed pal, Opus, who sit beside me on the bed as I work on this blog. Daisy's fine, just couldn't resist this shot of intense scrutiny! Kind of gives me the willies when they both stare at me like that while I'm blogging.

I was scheduled to sing a campfire at St. Ignace KOA Friday night but storms cancelled me, except for this loyal little camp follower , Josie, who with her father, followed me from Sleepy Bear in Empire, all the way up to the UP! They also brought sticks and marshmallows to our SB campfire. For that kind of loyalty, I'll sing anywhere....and I did! This was the KOA gameroom.


Taquamenon Falls, tanna-hued just like our Suwannee. Freakin' 94 degrees that afternoon. Might as well be in Hotlanta!




Mike kayaking the TQ River. We were the only 2 people going downriver, a mild current pushing along the tea-colored water with deep north woods rising on each bank.



No comments: