Monday, July 7, 2008

Everyday Life At GNP

And speaking of bears, our dinner companion in the village of Apgar.
On the 4th, it was windy and we couldn't paddle so I did the next best thing - racked out in my kayak on the shore and cuddled my dogs. Not a bad 4th. Very quiet at the park that day but we hear that the town of Hungry Horse sure rocked!

They're not kidding. We take our bear spray whenever we go into the woods on a hike. The rangers gave it to us and taught us how to use it. Most tourists wear the bear bells, but I notice the rangers didn't give us those.....that says something right there! Sounds like Christmas out on the trails! We saw a black bear near Avalanche Lake our first week here, and moose, mountain goats and Dahl's sheep. Ravens wake us in the a.m. (not a soothing sound), and we've heard a loon on our lake. Then of course, there's Buddy's deer.....


Singing in McDonald Lodge...not part of my duties, but they do favors for me and are a nice bunch of folks there. On rainy afternoons, it adds a lot!







This is how I spend most of my late evenings, after performing tunes for the ranger talks. Since all the rangers are too busy to meet, I go to them, sell them on the fact that my music can really 'kick it up' for their talk and then add said music. It's catching on.....I have 3 ranger 'gigs' this week.


Today Laura, Mike and I spent 2 hours in the Discovery Cabin with video equipment and got all the tunes and motions down on film for the GNP Education Website and for a possible CD. We are running out of time but I have been extended 5 days.....must be doing something right!

1 comment:

Bassinbabe said...

Hey, nice news! I can't wait until you get home to share the pictures and the stories. Be careful of the bears. We had one in camp in Alaska. Not nice.